Al-Hamdulillah, last year (IMAD 2017), your engagement and participation helped to get the Religious Garb Bill, the Illinois Trust Act, Combating Hate Crimes, Ensuring Police Accountability and Faith-Based Violence Prevention bills successfully passed by both the Illinois State Senate and House, and subsequently signed into law by Governor Rauner. Moreover, several of our youth civic leaders had the opportunity to shadow a state senator during the legislative sessions on IMAD day.
This year we have already adopted the Anti-Registry Program and the Gun Dealer Licensing bill into our legislative agenda, and we desire to expand the scope of issues for which we will lobby. A number of potential issues touch upon civic concerns of our partner organizations, like ICIRR, IAF affiliates, and CRLMC. Collaboration with them can amplify our voices as we make demands upon the legislators.
This year IMAD is April 11, 2018.
- The agenda for the day will begin with a light breakfast at 7:30 a.m. in the State House Inn, which is located at 101 E. Adams Street, Springfield, Illinois. The breakfast is intended to bring community leaders and members of the Illinois legislature together before the legislative sessions begin. During last year’s breakfast program, we presented Senate President John Cullerton and Senator Jacqueline Collins with individual awards recognizing their ongoing commitment to the Muslim community. After the breakfast, our activities will move to the State Capitol building, located one block north of the State House Inn.
- At 11:00 a.m. CIOGC will host a press conference in the State Press Room. The Press Room is located in the basement of the State Capitol Building. At the press conference we intend to host, as speakers, invited state representatives, leaders of partner organizations and leaders of our member organizations.
- From the end of the breakfast to the commencement of the press conference and then after the press conference concludes to the beginning of our rally, members of the community who have registered on the website as an IMAD day participant will be assigned to a team of community members who will visit the offices of legislators seeking a meeting with these legislators.
- While we anticipate having secured meetings with some legislators, many do not set appointments because of the unpredictability of their schedules during legislative sessions. They encourage us to come to their office on April 11th.
- Finally, there will be a short rally in the early afternoon on April 11th. The rally will be held in the auditorium of the Howlett Secretary of State building, located one block south of the State Capitol building, at 501 S. Second, St., Springfield, IL. During the rally other civic groups will join our rally promoting shared legislative bills on April 11th.
**During the day, there will also be opportunities to attend legislative sessions and committee meetings. We anticipate that one Senate Committee, the Senate Executive Committee, will be holding a committee meeting where one of your bills, the Anti-Registry Program Act, will be discussed and possibly voted for passage to the whole Senate for its consideration.
Learn more about the Senate Page program here.