Ramadan is best spent when its shared with others! Here are some ideas on how to share Ramadan with your friends and neighbors.
1. Be fruitful to your neighbors – Prepare baskets of fresh fruit (or even little cakes) to be distributed to neighbors.
2. Cans for a Cause – Break up into small groups within the community and hold a competition to see which group can collect the most cans/food for the needy.
3. Interfaith Iftar – Invite members of other religious organizations or faiths to Iftar. Emphasize an understanding of the month of Ramadan and its meaning.
4. Community Iftar – Invite members of the community around the mosque to Iftar. Share the meaning of Ramadan!
5. Sharing is Caring – Plan ahead while grocery shopping or preparing food for the month to donate to homeless shelters in your area.
6. Meat and Greet the Hungry Description – Team up with local butchers to create vouchers for the homeless and needy to get fresh meat from the butcher.
7. Fill the toy box – Hold a toy drive at the local mosque or community center to collect toys for underprivileged children in the area, work with local youth charity to help distribute.
8. Bake for the Good – Community members come together to produce delicious baked goods to be sold. Donate the profit from the bake sale to a local charity of choice.
9. Ramadan Reads – Work with a local library to have a reading section of books about Islam and Ramadan on display.
10. Kraft with the Kids – Host an afternoon of making arts and crafts for kids at the mosque, community center, or home for the kids to come together and make Ramadan and Eid decorations.
11. Give to those who give – Give little gifts to police officers, doctors, bus drivers, firefighters, teachers etc. Encourage kids to be involved in the gift giving.
12. At your service! – Plan a community service day as a group to spend time cleaning up a park, hosting an event, raising money for a cause, or volunteer at a local shelter.
13. Learn about Ramadan – Get in contact with the diversity officer at your corporation. Collaborate together to promote an event that introduces Ramadan to coworkers.
14. Decorate – Decorate the mosque and/or home, especially to get your children in the festive mood of appreciating Ramadan. Use websites like Eidway.com, Noorart. com or Ranoon.com
15. Ramadan, the month of Qur’an – Use the media advisory in the packet or write a reflection piece and submit it to local media.