April 15-17 will be CIOGC’s ‘Take on Hate’ weekend and we need you to join us.
On Friday, April 15, 2016 from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the MAS Chicago building in Bridgeview, CIOGC will rally along with interfaith partners and community members to raise awareness around this national campaign, out of which CIOGC’s legislative committee drafted a resolution to take to Springfield. CIOGC is demanding that Illinois take ‘Take on Hate’ of all kinds and toward all peoples that are being targeted by hate rhetoric.
The resolution’s message is simple: Illinois will have zero tolerance for hate crimes. We stand with our African Americans, Latinos, Arabs, American Sikhs and American Muslims as well as other communities of color who have seen significant increases in hate crimes and violence. We must stand strong together and not allow fear and hatred to tear us apart. We will not stand by as our neighbors are targeted. Read the full resolution here. The resolution is in the process of being sponsored as an interfaith and bipartisan, under the lead of CIOGC’s district senator, Senator Mattie Hunter.
So how can you participate in the ‘Take on Hate’ weekend‘?
1) Join us and register for the ‘Take on Hate’ rally on Friday, April 15, 2016 at the MAS Chicago Center at 9210 S. Oketo Avenue, Bridgeview, IL 60455. Register at TakeOnHate2016.Eventbrite.com. Come on time to receive your very own ‘Take on Hate’ button.
2) Make an announcement after your Jumuah khutba, or better yet, consider having the theme of the khutbah center around standing with the weakest and combatting injustices as per our Islamic teachings.
3) If you are an interfaith partner, consider speaking from the pulpit at Saturday Sabbath and Sunday Sermon about the resolution and the importance of unity.
4) Consider signing on to the ‘Take on Hate’ resolution by emailing [email protected]
5) Join us on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 in Springfield as we take our legislative agenda and drive it home. Register at IMAD2016.Eventbrite.com.
Read more about the ‘Take on Hate’ national campaign here.