The Council of Islamic Organization of Greater Chicago (CIOGC) is seeking an individual with demonstrated skills for a full-time position of Communications Coordinator. The Communications Coordinator will provide support for all internal and external communications, including the website, social media, event marketing material, the Chicago Crescent monthly publication, weekly e-newsletter and press releases to consistently articulate CIOGC’s mission and policies. The Communications Coordinator will directly report to the Communications Director.
The Communications Coordinator will work closely with other CIOGC staff in the areas of CIOGC programs and administration and contribute to general communications functions and informational activities. The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for duties outlined below as well as other duties as assigned.
• Help coordinate, organize, and execute communications plans for CIOGC programs and events
• Manage and update the CIOGC website regularly with news, resources, graphics, and more
• Help lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments on social media
• Provide support for CIOGC events and activities by designing marketing and publicity materials
• Draft and solicit engaging content for the CIOGC weekly E-Newsletter
• Design, draft, and publish the weekly E-Newsletter in Mailchimp
• Draft press releases, serve as a media liaison, and schedule media interviews for CIOGC reps
• Draft and solicit engaging content for the Chicago Crescent monthly publication
• Assist with soliciting and managing advertisements for the Chicago Crescent
• Oversee and maintain CIOGC’s external mailing lists
• Develop and maintain relationships with media personnel and manage media contacts
• The applicant should have a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a similar area of study. Recent demonstrated practical experience is required.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Excellent social media community building skills (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Excellent knowledge and skills with Content Management Systems (WordPress, Joomla, etc.)
• Proficient in Adobe design programs (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.)
• Experience using e-mail marketing services including Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and iContact
• Highly collaborative style; experience implementing communications strategies
• Ability to manage a variety of initiatives concurrently
• Ability to creatively utilize information by transforming it into exciting and useful messages
• High energy, maturity, and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Experience with Islamic non-profit organizations and knowledge of basic Islamic beliefs
• Ability to write and speak Arabic and/or Urdu is a plus.
To apply for a position with CIOGC, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the title of the position you’re applying for in the subject line. Please also include a writing sample, as well as work samples that are relevant to the position, and/or a link to your portfolio.
Salary and Benefits
This is a salaried position. Salary is commensurate with the qualifications. CIOGC offers vacation and health insurance benefits.