On Saturday, September 16, CIOGC and Burma Task Force led a rally of hundreds to express solidarity with Rohingya Muslims at Federal Plaza in Chicago. The following week, on Friday, September 22, CIOGC sponsored a lecture by Dr. Azeem Ibrahim at Islamic Foundation of Villa Park to increase awareness of the Rohingya crisis. Then, on Saturday, September 23, at the Plaza of the Americas, the Rohingya Culture Center sponsored a rally in support of Rohingya Muslims, to continue to draw attention of Muslims to the genocide of the Rohingya Muslims in Burma.
In what the United Nations has called a campaign of ethnic cleansing, over 400,000 Rohingya Muslims have escaped to Bangladesh, fleeing the campaign of violence being waged by the Burmese military against Rohingya Muslims. Refugees have fled in the thousands including entire families, infants, and the elderly. According to the Reuters newswire, at least 80 smoldering villages can be seen in satellite images.
While many victims of the persecution still remain in the Rakhine State of Burma, the Burmese government has refused to allow aid workers and reporters into Burma to provide needed medical care and reporting. CIOGC is urging our community members and members of the general public to call and tweet U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to demand sanctions on Myanmar.
Please do your part with this 10-minute action:
• Tweet & call Scot Marciel, U.S. Ambassador to Burma Phone: (95)- (9)-512-4330, Twitter: @USEmbassyBurma, and @scot_a_marciel
Call Aung San Suu Kyi and demand:
• The military must stop attacks on Rohingyas.
• The U.S. ambassador to Burma have all access to Rohingya areas in Burma.
• Rohingyas are indigenous people living in their ancestral lands
• They were citizens of Myanmar until 1982, when the government rescinded their citizenship
• Stop military attacks against Rohingya Muslims
• Seven Nobel laureates agree that the Rohingya are subject to slow genocide
[email protected]_State_US Please call Suu Kyi asking her to stop attacks on Rohingyas
[email protected]_a_marciel Please visit Rohingya area immediately. Your visit will stop attacks on Rohingyas
Copy and distribute this action alert in your masjid