The Illinois Religious Garb bill (SB1697) recently passed its third reading in the Senate and is scheduled for 1st hearing in the House on Wednesday, May 17 at 2pm.
SB1697 provides that it is a violation for an employer to impose any term condition that requires a person to violate his or her religion including the wearing of any attire, clothing, or facial hair in accordance with the requirements of his or her religion. This bill needs our community’s support to advance in the house.
This bill protects our rights as Muslims, Christians, Jews, Sikhs, and any other religion in the workplace. Please go to this link and create/ sign a witness slip. Please also share this message with your network.
To sign a witness slip, please see below:
- Fill in your personal information (name, address, agency) in part I marked “Identification”
- If you are submitting a witness slip on behalf of a particular organization, fill in the organization in part II marked “Representation.”
- In part III marked “Position” select “Original Bill” from the drop down menu and click on the circle for “Proponent.”
- In part IV marked “Testimony” select “Record of Appearance Only.”
- Type in the text for the security check that ensures that a person is filling out the form.
- Click the box marked “I Agree to the ILGA Terms of Agreement.” Click on “Create Slip.”
You can also contact your State Representative today and well them to support the Religious Garb Bill!